Friday, August 12, 2011

Urban Fairies

Over at Urban Fairies Operations, dedicated observers have located and photographed numerous fairy doors hidden throughout the city of Ann Arbor (and a few elsewhere). Yes, that's right, urban fairies have taken up residence right under our noses! And possibly goblins, as well. While I was meandering about downtown last Sunday with my roomie Kimmy and my mother, a.k.a. Mom, we stumbled upon three doors and a fairy ticket booth. 

After I told Kimmy about the doors a few weeks ago (I found a mention online, but had yet to see them for myself), she located two while out with a friend. Ever since, I have been on the lookout during my downtown excursions. So while giving Mom a tour of my new city, I was excited to spot my first door at my favorite tea shop in Kerrytown, Tea Haus

Fairy door at Tea Haus on 4th Ave.
"What is it?" Mom asked.

"It's a fairy door!" Kimmy and I joyously answered. 

And then I explained to her what they were, and that they are at numerous locations all over Ann Arbor. 

We next headed over to have lunch at Conor O'Neill's Irish Pub, located near the Ark on Main St. Conor O'Neill's doesn't have a fairy door that I know of, but the Ark does! Kimmy had previously located not only the door, but the fairy ticket booth, as well. (There may be another door inside, but the Ark was closed at the time so we did not go in.) 

Outside the Ark on Main St.
Outside the fairy door, we found a number of small trinkets left as tributes for the faeries that resided within. They looked like wands (Q-tips dipped in glitter). There was an older couple already standing there giving us funny looks, so we told them what we were doing. (Apparently, taking pictures of fairy doors requires explanation.) They were delighted and thanked us, saying they'd keep an eye out for more themselves. When we walked by later, a mother and young daughter had also found the door, and the little girl wanted to leave an offering. 

Fairy ticket booth at the Ark.
"Well, I have a penny," suggested the skeptical mother. The little girl accepted.

My mother has recently taken an interest in making her own jewelry, so I next lead us to the Bead Gallery on Liberty where, you guessed it, we discovered another fairy door! This time it was Mom who found it. And Kimmy uncovered a basket of unpainted, uninstalled fairy doors for sale. Hey, as the old saying goes, if you build it, they will come, right?

At the Bead Gallery on Liberty.
Kimmy and I intend to entice a fairy to take up residence at our apartment. We promise to keep the outside clean and be good neighbors! Our cats are terrible hunters, and I don't think they will be a problem. Besides, if they are foolish enough to bother a fairy, I think they deserve what's coming to them. 

I also really  want to buy one of the Fairy Doors of Ann Arbor posters. They also sell post cards, which I think is a great way to spread this unique part of Ann Arbor with friends and family outside the area. 

So the next time you find yourself wandering Ann Arbor, keep an eye out. That shadow flitting past the corner of your eye might be more than your imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment