Saturday, November 12, 2011

I've Got Skeletons on My Sidewalks


Halloween is such a big, important holiday (in my life) that it gets two entries in my blog. And it was such a busy day that I felt it was only fair to divide it up.

While my friends and I were driving to the cider mill in Northville, we noticed some odd sights throughout downtown. The sidewalks were crawling with skeletons! They were skateboarding, playing checkers, playing guitar, fishing, re-enacting movie scenes... On our way back from the cider mill, we had  top stop and check this out. 

One of the things I really like about downtown Northville is the free parking structures. The short blocks with stores is also adorable, quaint, and thriving with fun shops to explore, but seriously: free parking! Anyway. We quickly found a number of dressed up skeletons, each with a sign asking to please not touch them and with a Begonia Brothers tag. 

A later search on the internet informed me that there were twenty skeletons in total, and they all seemed to be set up along a few blocks of Center St and the strip that is E Main St. My friends and I had fun running around snapping pictures, and were delighted by some of the scenes we found. A particularly clever one, we thought, was the re-enactment of the clock tower scene from Back to the Future, which I will link to here because there is not enough room on this blog to show the proper detail. 

I realize it is most likely too late in the season to go check these guys out for yourselves, but it is certainly something to keep an eye out for next year (at least, I hope they return!), and makes me wonder what shenanigans downtown Northville will get into for the Winter season. 

While we were wandering around delightedly gawking at skeletons, we also came across a number of fairy doors that we didn't remember seeing during the Victorian Festival. The really neat thing about the fairy doors in Northville is that they are highly decorative and often tailored to the businesses to which they are attached.


It's sort of like a complete fairy village on a human scale. The high prevalence and decorativeness of the fairy doors of Northville give them a very different vibe than the fairy doors of Ann Arbor, which are made to look like real, functioning doors, albeit of a diminutive stature (about 7 inches tall). The Northville fairy doors are less than half the size, but still fun and very colorful and creative. They also seem to be evolving and getting more detailed. The differences between the two regions certainly send my writer wheels turning in my head. 

One day I will have to assemble an entire webpage devoted to all the fairy doors that Kimmy and I discover in our travels. At the very least, I think a Flickr account is in order. 

Unlike for Ann Arbor, there is no check list that I am aware of for Northville's fairy doors, and you must go there and find them for yourself. I have also yet to find a website other than my own that mentions them. They don't even get a blip on the Wikipedia page for Fairy Doors of Ann Arbor!  

So if you enjoy fairies, or have never been to downtown Northville, I highly suggest a visit. These folks obviously love their town and imbue it with a sense of fun and exploration. I can't imagine an afternoon in downtown Northville could ever be ill-spent. 

Happy hunting!


1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love these skeletons.

    ReplyDelete