Saturday, April 14, 2012

Rasputina at the Magic Stick in Detroit

I once again could not get to the internet in time to update this on the correct day. Sorry, folks! Hopefully, that will be remedied sometime in the upcoming week.

What do I have to report on today? Rasputina live in concert at the Magic Stick in Detroit! Tickets were only $14 at the door and my boyfriend Greg was gracious enough to treat me. He even paid for drinks! Seeing Rasputina last year was supposed to be my and Greg's second date, but a sudden blizzard trapped me in my apartment, so I could not go. Boo! Hiss! This year, the weather was quite pleasant and we had no such troubles.

If you aren't familiar with Rasputina (and I know a number of my readers won't be), they are "a cello-driven band based in New York that is renowned for their unconventional and quirky music style as well as their fascination with historical allegories and fashion, especially those pertaining to the Victorian era." So says Wikipedia. (Sometimes it's just easier to let other people explain things for me.)


The Magic Stick is a small venue above a bowling alley called the Garden Bowl, both of which are attached to the Majestic Theater in Detroit. There is a bar and a spacious balcony with a pleasant view of the city.  When the Majestic Theater opened in 1915, it was the largest movie theater in the world, and today is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The front is a wonderful example of Art Deco, though not exactly my personal cup of tea.

This was my first time seeing Rasputina in concert. It was a small crowd, but that was actually kind of nice. I don't usually see bands in small places. Usually I am at the Michigan Theater in downtown Ann Arbor, which is quite different from a place like Magic Stick! (But very beautiful.) 

I have a few Rasputina songs that were given to me a while ago by friends. My favorite is their version of “Wish You Were Here,” by Pink Floyd. At the Magic Stick, they did two more covers of songs that I know, "I Want You to Want Me" and "Bad Moon Rising." Both were freaking awesome! "Bad Moon Rising" actually sounded sinister on the cello coupled with Melora Creager's haunting vocal style. (It sounds so chipper to me when CCR does it!) 

Unfortunately, as is usually the case with me and live music, I couldn't understand most of the words to the other songs Rasputina performed. I enjoyed the pacing and melodies, however, and I would like to hunt down some more songs on the internet so I can better familiarize myself with the band.

Anyone who says cellos can't rock needs to do a quick YouTube search for Rasputina videos. Cellos not only rock, but add a very unique sound to modern music. Often melancholy, but hey, that's just how they roll. 

Anyway, I think I've been milking this coffee for too long. I'll let you all get on your way now. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment