Sunday, December 16, 2012

What Am I Listening To?: New Orleans Christmas

It does exist.
I enjoy collecting atypical, uncommon music, such as my collection of Disney songs in non-English languages - Hercules in French, Mulan in Chinese, the Little Mermaid in Japanese, etc - and one of the Sailor Moon Christmas albums to name a few. 

Thus, I have never been one for terribly typical holiday music either. I'm not going to say that the artists on Putumayo Presents: New Orleans Christmas are obscure or unknown because my boyfriend Greg recognized about half of them off the top of his head. (He went to college in New Orleans and still refers to the city as home.)

Jazzier than the Jazz Christmas CD.
What is different about this collection of holiday tunes is their distinctly New Orleans flare. Papa Don Vappie's New Orleans Jazz Band's rendition of "Please Come Home For Christmas" is swingin' and booty shakin', not the moody downer that I tend to think of it as. ''Zat You, Santa Claus?" features the unique and classy voice of Ingrid Lucia, whom I will be looking into further as a result of her catchy addition to this album.

I bought this CD from Crazy Wisdom Bookstore and Tea Room. There was another CD called A Jazz & Blues Christmas also produced by Putumayo, but that CD was not nearly as jazzy as the New Orleans CD. (It was, however, pretty bluesy, and I still liked it, I just wasn't moved to purchase it.)

Other tracks are "Christmas in New Orleans" by James Andrews, "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" by Ellis Marsalis, "Santa's Second Line" by New Birth Brass Band, and "Holiday Time in New Orleans" by the Dukes of Dixieland, which offers the listener a sort of tour of New Orleans during the holiday season. (Side note: I refuse to refer to New Orleans as "the Big Easy" since that was the nickname of a girl I dated in college.)

If you're looking for some new, lively holiday music this year that isn't too far out there, check this CD out. My roommate Kimmy and I listened to it whole she made beignets for our Roommate Christmas celebration, really setting the right tone. There was plenty of booty waggling, I promise you. I can't wait to play it for my mother and brother who both appreciate some good jazzy tunes.

I hope everyone had a happy Hanukkah and, in case I don't have much chance to write next week, a merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment