Thursday, August 15, 2013

Fire and Water, Summer Staples

Summer bonfires were not a part of my growing up years. Fire is generally banned on most, if not all, public beaches in Michigan, so I experienced my first beach bonfire in California (and it was totally groovy). Sitting around a fire was generally reserved for camping, which my family did a lot of when I was a kid and again when I was in college. Every evening was spent sitting around the fire chatting, sometimes roasting marshmallows. They were good times. But those are campfires at campgrounds. Bonfires I usually associate with autumn activities alongside corn mazes, hot apple cider, and powdered donuts. 

Last Saturday, though, I was more than happy to add "fire" to my list of summer fun. A couple friends from work decided we should get together and have a bonfire that night. The stars graciously aligned so that my boyfriend Greg and I had the night off, and were able to attend. 

I am continuously being astounded by new pockets of Ann Arbor. Our hosts house was located within walking distance of downtown (albeit not a brief stroll), yet we very much felt like we were in the woods, away from town. It even required a single track dirt road to get to! Much as at my apartment, we could easily hear the drone of highway traffic, but, again, much as at my apartment, I could just as easily tune it out.

I can't think of many better ways to spend an evening than sitting around a fire chatting with people, listening to music, drinking wine, or beer as you choose, and toasting marshmallows. I am told I drank (these words should never begin a sentence, by the way) a third of a bottle of port and most of a glass of wine. It was delicious. The reason I didn't finish the wine is I knew I had hit my limit and any more would be bad for me. You see? I have learned something in the past ten years of drinking alcohol. Thus a good time was had by all!

The following day had both Greg and I working all day, so we didn't arrive to Game Night until after 7pm. I've been wanting to swim in my friends' pool all summer, but due to work constraints, I hadn't had the opportunity. Luckily, another late arrival was determined to swim, so I was finally able to use the pool and with company. The water was a fabulous 86F and I was able to walk right in. It felt so soothing to my sore muscles... I wish I had my own pool. Our apartment complex has a pool, I am just rarely home at the appropriate times to enjoy it. 

It would have been better if the sky hadn't been so cloudy and we could have watched the meteors streak across the sky as they fell, but it's Michigan. When do we ever have clear skies at night? 

I think I have actually used my suit more times this summer than last. Yay! Hopefully that won't be my last, though. The beaches are open until Labor Day, and that's still a couple weeks away. It would be great if I could combine fire and water in the same day. I tried while camping over the 4th of July, but no dice. Eh bien. Summer's not quite over yet! I can still hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment