Monday, September 16, 2013

Apple Picking Near Ann Arbor

My favorite season is undoubtedly Fall. It contains my birthday, my favorite holiday Halloween, and some of my favorite activities, such as apple picking, hayrides, and drinking hot apple cider. Since Greg and I had Wednesday off, we decided to pick apples at the Wasem Fruit Farm located between Milan and Ypsilanti. 

My former roommate and still awesome friend Kimmy and I went to this fruit farm a couple of years ago so I could introduce Kimmy, who is from southern California, to apple orchards and cider and donuts. It turns out they haven't run the cider press since then, and though they planned to try again this year, the cider wasn't ready on Wednesday. But there were still donuts!

Greg and I picked half a bushel of McIntosh apples, one of my favorites. They're often on the small side (me-sized), red and green mixed together, sweet, and crisp. They're a good apple for making just about anything. The best cider I've ever tasted was made from all Macs. So far, Greg has made pancakes with chopped apples in them. They were delicious! Though the first few he made at Game Night probably had too many apples in it because they kind of just stayed mush, like every time I have tried to make potato pancakes. Once he added more batter to the mix to even things out, the rest of the pancakes turned out just fine.

I have some recipes that I want to try. Half a bushel is really a lot of apples!! Greg mentioned a recipe he found for apple cake, and I found one for Dutch Apple Cake and another for Apple Peanut Butter Cookies on Taste of Home. Look for these to pop up on my food blog in the future.

Right down the road from the fruit farm is a corn maze at Talladay Farms. They offer a haunted maze that opens October 4th as well as regular corn mazes and a kids play area. You can also reserve a bonfire if you have a group, and buy food and drinks. I wanted to do a corn maze last year like friends and I did the year before, but we never found time. Greg and I have decided to do one this year. Maybe we'll go to Talladay since it is so close. I will let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment