Monday, November 25, 2013

Old Town Chicago

This last Saturday, I was blessed to attend the wedding of one of my best friends from high school. It was a rather simple affair at a very large, lovely American church around the corner from Old Town. If you have ties to Chicago, you may have heard of the church. It's the Moody Church, also home to the Moody Bible Institute. I was not aware of either until the wedding, but oh boy! did people ever look shocked when I told them where I was going. 

We stayed with Greg's friend from high school and his girlfriend in their fantastic apartment in a three story town home. I was delighted when we walked up to the Japanese-style front gate with a kanji name plate on the post. The apartment wasn't Japanese in style, but the owner is a Japanese woman. I loved the interior and exterior. It was also great making new friends, one of whom also works in a bookstore! When I saw Cards Against Humanity on their living room table, I knew they were good people. 

At the wedding, it was also wonderful to catch up with friends I hadn't seen in a while. I really don't make it back to Kalamazoo as often as I'd like to see my family and friends. Of course, the high gas prices add another deterrent to frequent visits. Since there was about an hour and a half between the ceremony and reception, a trio of us decided to wander through nearby Old Town. 

Old Town is a great little neighborhood! At the suggestion of the bride, we checked out Spice House, where Greg purchased a shaker of maple garlic. It smells so amazing, I can't wait to give it a try! He also picked up some kiwi white balsamic vinegar from Old Town Oil, and we toured through Old Town Aquarium among others. 
It was quite chilly that day, and my wedding clothes were not really intended to stand up to the constant onslaught of frigid wind we were getting off Lake Michigan. As the sun set, I decided we should turn back before the temperature dropped intolerably low. We met up with friends again for dinner before leaving town. (And battling with lake effect snow as we rounded the southern tip of the lake and continued into Michigan.) 

If you are planning a trip to Chicago, for sure check out the museums and other great stuff like that, but also look into the little neighborhoods like Old Town. I am glad we did! I hope we can find a weekend sometime soon to see more of Chicago. I still have yet to visit Shedd Aquarium or Navy Pier. I did visit the Field Museum on my last visit to Chicago, but Greg's friend (who dressed up as Sue, the Field's resident dinosaur,  for one of their functions) said he could get us in on the cheap, and since I didn't get to see all of the exhibits before, I'd would like to go again. Maybe after the snow is done taunting us.

No comments:

Post a Comment