Monday, April 28, 2014

"Crysta Goes Visiting" in Print and My Latest Short Story Publication

The latest issue of the Crazy Wisdom Community Journal is out! You can come in to the store and pick up a copy, or wait a few days for it to pop up at local carriers (I boxed up the bundles yesterday and they are being mailed out today). You can also click this link and read it online. My column "Crysta Goes Visiting" is on pages 10 and 11. The picture of me in front of the books was taken by my boyfriend Greg, and the editors credited him, his very first photography credit. (I'm so proud.) 

I've already been thinking through who I want to visit for the next issue's Visiting column. Already contacted some people, but no one has gotten back to me yet (boo). Also, my work email seems to be down, which is vexing since I had planned on taking advantage of my day off and getting some things done there. The power keeps flashing in my apartment, and maybe these two things are related and something is going on region-wide. (I'm thinking aliens.)

On another front, I have a short story "The Waiting Future" being published in the upcoming steampunk erotica anthology Valves & Vixens being edited by Nicole Gestalt. As far as erotica goes, my story is relatively tame, and is heavier on the romance and excitement of the time. 

I wanted to do something different with this story than what I see a lot of other authors doing in steampunk. Namely, I didn't want to write anything in the Victorian London scene (I've never been to London, and I hate writing about real places I have never been), nor even in America, which would be the second most common location I see in steampunk. I went with a place I do know a little something about, Japan. Given my degree in Asian Studies with an emphasis in Japan, I probably know more about Meiji era Japan than I do about Victorian America. (And I am ok with this.) 

I just sent the contracts in last week, so it will still be a little bit before we see this one in print. I can't wait, though! This is an English publisher, which presented the unique challenge of coercing my computer's spellcheck to only use UK spellings. It was totally fine with adding UK on top of US, but it took a frustrating amount of time to get it to ignore US spelling conventions. I once had it programmed to believe it was a Japanese computer, so I really don't think asking it to ignore US spellings in favor of UK was such an absurd request. Apparently, I was mistaken. 

I will be sure to keep everyone posted on both of these projects, as well as any future endeavors as they come up. Whoo-hoo!

1 comment: