Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Cleaning the Gutters (and Eavestroughs)

It occurs to me that the long, narrow troughs that run along the roof line of a house to funnel rain water away from the home's foundation so as not to cause floods that could damage the foundation or flood the basement are known to me as two things: gutters and eavestroughs. Wikipedia tells me that the term eavestrough is primarily Canadian, which explains why people in Michigan might say it, our state being often referred to as Lower Canada. We usually said eavestrough in my family, unless one was setting out to clear them of gunk, in which case the set phrase (if you will) was "clean the gutters."


I bring this up because that is precisely what Greg and I did last week at our house. This was my first foray into house maintenance and Greg's second. He went over there right after we purchased it to mow the entire overgrown lot with a weed whacker. (Never do this.)

I also went around picking up trash, most of which was slowly disintegrating into the ground, but since it was plastic, styrofoam, and metal, would have outlasted us, despite its decrepit state. I had to leave a few styrofoam cups and beer cans, though, as they were cradled by the Pokey Bushes of Doom, which stabbed me more times than I could count. (Greg got bitten by ants.) I get that bushes armed with tiny stilettos are a decent home defense device. I don't care. They're more than half dead, so I don't feel bad about ripping them out, which is our next course for yard work. 

Tonight, we met with a designer at Home Depot for our next step on fixing up the interior. New cabinets! New countertops! New floor! New lights! Well, tonight was just the cupboards. But it's all so very exciting! We're also planning a painting party coming up that may also involve ripping out the current kitchen cabinets. We don't have a lot of time off, so we have to cram a lot in.

I'll throw up more house updates here as they occur. Honestly, that's mostly what I will be up to for the next couple of months. I'd still like to do some fun things around town, but this month alone, I only have 2 or 3 days off, so... Yeah. Having so many jobs is really hard! Alas. 

1 comment:

  1. Well, at least you won’t have to deal with those gutters for some time, now that you’ve cleared it out. Though if it keeps getting gunk and debris in there, you might want to consider putting up a gutter guard. At the very least, you won’t have to worry about it getting clogged when it starts to rain often. Good day!

    Meghan Bowers @ Gutter Dome

    ReplyDelete